Saturday 16 October 2010

Typewriter.

You will probably notice the typewriters down the right hand side of the page.
These are a recent interest and are an extension of my fascination with computer keyboards.
Initially the keyboard collection came from a desire to find the perfect feeling key stroke. I settled after many different boards on the Topre Capacitive switch. My preference for the happy hacking keyboard over the Realforce is purely one of layout and shape.
Nothing comes close to a happy hacker for feel and productivity. The space it allows you for the mouse prevents any right shoulder RSI. The size and layout of the board is designed so you never have to leave the home row. Even the BS key is in a much easier to reach position to a normal keyboard. Add to this the life span of the Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro II and it almost deserves its £200 price tag.
Anyway I digress.
The typewriters too have very distinct feels to them. Different brands have different mechanisms for the key action.
The Olympias for the most part have sprung keys that allow you to adjust the tension of the stroke. This is something I would love to see on a PC keyboard. Some have advanced tab settings not that I would use them. There are so many amazing mechanical marvels in a typewriter I honestly think it is one of the greatest designs in history. Add to this the aesthetic value of each model. Echoing their era of production and bringing it into our homes.
I would like to show a couple of pictures of the Olympia SM-3. If you are a Mad Men viewer (and if you are not you should be!) You might have seen Don Draper using this model in his apartment. And not a similar model! Not a different colour or the De Luxe edition but this very same machine. The only difference I could see is that his has the US layout where as mine is UK.
I did try to add some more pictures but they were too big and I can't be bothered to shrink them. This one will do I think.
Anyway. Just thought this might be better than my complaining and making jokes about things I think are shit.
I will be back to that soon I'm sure.
For now dig out any old typewriters and get them to me ASAP.
Its like mechanical nerdy crack. And I like crack.

D. Draper.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment