Thursday 28 October 2010

The inevitable disappointments of the future.

As I'm sure is pretty obvious I rather like typewriters.
I think the enduring nature of such devices stems from multiple places but for me, specificity, It's a combination of a few. A couple I would like to mention are the period they represent in our time line and the nature of pre disposable society.
I have been looking in many charity shops for books and writers and have found that a lot of them have seen an increase in the sales of them along with other non electric mechanical options for all over the home.
Is it that the current economy is driving people back. Back to a simpler time where things could be used over and over without the need for a three year extended warranty? Where if you bought something for a specific task it just did it no questions asked?
There seems to be a generation that wants to be able to produce printed documents without the need or will to have a computer. To these people who grew up in the 50s and 60s the seemingly increasing trend towards retro must simply feel like home.
And to younger people like myself the ideology of those decades holds such rich history I have no choice but to bathe in it when ever I can.
Of course there are machines dating back to the 1800s and many made from those years on. Some show cost cutting during the great depression and perhaps don't hold quite the same nostalgic magic as others.
I have found that the older the machine I type on the further back it seems to take me in my own life. I wrote a short piece today on my Grandfathers sister and the market here in Bexhill. These thoughts seem as vivid today as they did 24 years ago.
And the machine I used is a good 80 years old.
In 80 years time what will be left for our children to find wonder in?
My Happy Hacking keyboard on my desk here will probably be in a landfill or shot at the moon. My computer would have undergone hundreds of changes before being debunked by some bio chip super micro holographic mega wankery.
The records of our lives and of our greatest works catalogued and left with no desire to be discovered. What will there be for historians to dig up of us?
With disposable society came the recycling culture. And though it may well preserve the ground that we walk on and the air that we breath. If the world is left empty of memories.
I just blanked out for a bit. Not sure how to finish this now.
I am trying to just write without humility or censoring but when I draw a blank I feel wrong forcing myself to fill it.
Someone help me out on this one will you?
In the mean time I continue to fill my life with the marvels of the past.
And try not to worry about the inevitable disappointments of the future.

Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment