Wednesday 13 October 2010

Information Sandwich.

Today I was working on a PC for a friend. It has had many issues most of which I have managed to fix.
Whilst putting the machine back together my friend said 'Oh don't put the side on, the guy who built it said its common for PCs not to boot when the side is on'
I felt like punching something. Thankfully my friend is one of the biggest masochists I have met. Actually I think the only one.
So PCs come with a side panel but you are not to use it. So what? It's just there for show? It's for people who don't want a PC that boots?
This kind of information seems to spread through word of mouth through the uneducated.
Perhaps the builder of this PC had experienced a short on a system in the past and then applied that as a rule for every system he has built since.
I find it amazing how people are willing to accept flaws like this in technology. They are comfortable for something to just about work. No need to push it too hard no need for it to perform to its maximum potential.
I can't understand this with PCs as I have always Overclocked and modded everything that comes into the house.
Another example would be from my Degree. In an Illustration class we were all working in Illustrator.
Trying to learn the horrible pen tool. I was getting frustrated with not understanding how the curves were produced. What dictated the curvature of the apex etc..
The tutor simply said 'I don't know. I like that its always a bit of a surprise what shape it makes'
This was a practising professional illustrator. Almost excited with the way the program could not be controlled within the users boundaries. Content to work within the restrictions of limited curves and shapes.

I'm sorry for me this is just not good enough.

You think man continued to bludgeon animal carcasses with a round rock because eventually it would take a leg off? We should not let these tools dictate to us what is and isn't possible. We made the fucking things for Christ sake. The only limiting factor in any action we make should be our imagination and resourcefulness.
Get your cocking PC to do as its told and you will become more productive and have a lot more fun.
Learn how the Pen tool actually works. Your design will be a lot better and carry a lot more of your personality.
And cut meat with a fucking knife. Its the nineteen nineties bitch.

X

No comments:

Post a Comment