Friday 10 December 2010

This will be my last post for a while as I am going into hospital again.

I want to share my admiration for a young photographer I came across on Flickr.
Her name is Cari Ann Wayman and she goes by the handle yyellowbird.
All I was doing was looking for pictures of typewriters and stumbled across one of her self portraits. It's hard to put into words the feelings her images evoke for me.
I will do the best I can.
Though nostalgic in tone a lot of her shots are provocatively posed and framed in a fashion not unlike early Dazed and Confused (before it became shit) Though her work lacks the pomposity of a lot of fashion photography.
Her use of muted tones adds a seventies feel as well as her diverse wardrobe.
I also love the post processing she uses. The light bleed adding a red glow to the edge of certain shots is one of my favourites. It subconsciously adds a sense of naivety to images that could otherwise become rather too competent looking and loose a little of their charm. Sparkles of light and lens flare add more to her already dreamlike images.
For me they feel like images from a book. Just how one might imagine a scene described in the most poetic of language. Such detail in composition and content, such emotion in pose. She makes me what to be a young girl exploring the US with my camera.
Please have a look at her photostream here YYELLOWBIRD

At my worst her work has given me a place I would like to be.
I explore the abandoned houses in my head and look for the beauty that she has found.

No comments:

Post a Comment